Upgraded kernel - much confusion!

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 11 11:56:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 13:32, Will Clifton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Apologies in advance, much of this is newbie stuff, but if anyone out
> there has a couple of minutes...
>
> 1. Upgraded kernel to 2.6.2-1.160 via Arjanv's ftp site and the Jorge
> Gallegos tutorial on FedoraNews. In other words, I didn't get my hands
> too dirty, most of the work was installing RPMs. (I upgraded in hopes
> that the new kernel would have better support for my WinTV-PVR-250,
> otherwise I would not have attempted this as it is way above my head...)

Don't know about this, my TV card is in a 2.4.x box.  If it's BT848
based it should work.  Check out freevo or mythtv.

> 2. Kudzu keeps wanting to reconfigure my eth0 (Natsemi->Netgear FA311)
> everytime I reboot. I don't understand why, when I run ifconfig it's
> already there and configured. How do I get rid of this? Also, on my
> first boot of 2.6 I had an eth1 line in modprobe.conf. I deleted it
> because I only have one NIC, why was the eth1 entry there and should I
> have not deleted it?

I've seen this too.  If you reboot enough times (nics+1, maybe), I think
kudzu will correct it.

> 3. Prior to updating, I had a SCSI cdrom that I replaced with an IDE,
> pulled the SCSI card and in kernal 2.4 it was working fine. Now that
> native IDE cdrom is supported in 2.6, how do I tell my system where it
> is and how to find it? In other words, I think the system still wants
> SCSI->IDE emulation as per prior kernels. It does get recognized as hdc
> on boot, but it is not working. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Remove the hdx=ide-scsi kernel command line parameters from grub.conf or
lilo.conf.  You should then be able to refer to your CDROM by its true
device name (e.g. /dev/hdc or /dev/cdrom).

> 4. I read that I'm supposed to install the ALSA drivers for 2.6, so I
> installed all of the ALSA RPMs from freshrpms and now of course my
> soundcard (es1371) doesn't work. I'll keep reading about this but if
> anyone has any pointers I'd sure appreciate it.

You should also install the ALSA libraries and utilities.

Run alsaconf to update modules.conf (or modprobe.conf), it should be
installed as part of the ALSA utilities.

I had to install the alsasound startup script to load the modules at
boot time.  It was part of the ALSA drivers download.  Copy it to
/etc/init.d  and run chkconfig --add alsasound, then chkconfig --level
2345 alsasound on, then service alsasound start.  You must run alsamixer
to un-mute the sound card.  BTW:  I built the ALSA S/W from tarballs.

> 5. Numerous other annoyances, like Gkrellm doesn't run now (just a for
> instance, there's many other things) but these are not terribly
> important.

Gkrellm runs okay under 2.6 here.  More skins would be nice.  When you
start gkrellm in a terminal window are there any errors?

Hope this helps.

Bob...