DHCP!

Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior npaulo at linux.ime.usp.br
Wed Feb 11 12:06:26 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm not sseing this as a "problem", it's all working fine, the NIC's are
exactly the same model, but have diferent MAC's. My problem is, if a user CAN
change his MAC adreess, even if ONLY root can change, it's easy to implement
a spoofing right????

So, why is permited to change the MAC this way??????

[]'s

Chadley Wilson wrote:

> When you changed hardware the system probably had the card in it
> (correct me if I m wrong!) This could cause this to happen.
> To fix simply redetect your netork card and configure it.
> Good Luck!
>
> Chad
> On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 20:01, Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've copied my hard drive to another hard drive using dd. The machines
> > are almost the same, but the first one was from another person. After
> > the copy, I've noticed that the machine was working in the network, wich
> > seems impossible because I have a DHCP server witch atribute IP address per
> > MAC address.
> >
> > After that I've noticed that the file ifcfg-eth0 on my system had the followwing
> > line:
> >
> > HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> >
> > And the MAC in there, was the MAC of the NIC of the first machine, not
> > the one I'm running now.
> >
> > My question is, it's not a security flaw let someone change the MAC that
> > way???
> >
> > Thanks!
> > []'s
> >

> > --
> > Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior
> > E-mail:  <npaulo at linux.ime.usp.br>   UIN: 2489382 (Tender [:alpha:]*)
> > Eu cavo, tu cavas, ele cava, nós cavamos, vós cavais,
> > eles cavam... Não é bonito, mas é profundo.

Nelson Guedes Paulo Junior
E-mail:     UIN: 2489382 (Tender [:alpha:]*)
Eu cavo, tu cavas, ele cava, nós cavamos, vós cavais,
eles cavam... Não é bonito, mas é profundo.
"A cada enxadada, uma minhoca"