User Linux

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Wed Feb 11 14:25:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 12:12, Jeff Lasman wrote:

> 2) I prefer a solution designed around KDE; for example on RHL 9,
> konqueror is almost unusable because of font problems, default
> problems, etc., yet on Knoppix it looks and works every bit as well as
> Mozilla.

There are other distros that are designed around KDE; Fedora has chosen
GNOME, but they don't exclude KDE, which means that support is there,
its just integrated ala via BlueCurve.

Heck, even the latest KDE release is available as FC rpms.

> 3) I prefer a solution that does what I generally do right out of the
> box.  The only MSW system here is a server running A1 monitor and the
> Mailtraq mail server, so I don't have the options of listening to MP3s,
> for example, on Windows, nor do I want to have to continually install
> non-supported "stuff"to do what I want to do.

Windows won't play a DVD out of the box. A choice of removing the MP3
playing option is good - you just need to get the fix. It shows we as a
Linux community are serious about not distributing software that helps
piracy (in other industries).

> 4) I don't like the continuous upgrade cycle forced on me.

RHEL might be better for you. But its really painless if you have a Net
connection.

> 5) Sometimes RH is on a bleeding edge I don't want to be on; for example
> our webservers are still running RHL 7.3 because we're not happy with
> Apache 2.x yet.

What's wrong with Apache 2.x?

Go ahead and install Apache 1.x on FC1; it works.
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
http://fedoranews.org/colin/fnu/ - Fedora News Updates