Yum is great, but do you trust them?

Dan Stoner dstoner at flmnh.ufl.edu
Wed Feb 11 15:26:09 UTC 2004

Thanks to everyone who posted and gave detailed responses.  I feel
better about using Fedora in general, and now have my linux box updating
daily using yum.

To summarize, and combined with some other threads on this list, info on
the web, etc....

how to set up Yum updating on fedora core 1:

1.  import the fedora GPG key so we can verify the integrity of the
downloaded packages.

  rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

2.  modify /etc/yum.conf to enable gpg checking and to use the mirrors
of my choice.  Note that the directory structure of the mirrors seems to
be different than what is in the default yum.conf.  The $releasever and
$basearch variables _should_ allow us to move beyond fedora core 1
without having to change the yum.conf file.

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever
baseurl=http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os
gpgcheck=1

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever
baseurl=http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch
gpgcheck=1

3.  update!

  yum update

4.  enable the yum service, which uses a daily cron job to get updates
automatically

  chkconfig yum on
  service yum start

Regards,