RedHat, Fedora future?

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Thu Feb 12 15:48:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:10:18PM -0500, Mike Lurk wrote:
[...]
> It is easy to look at one distro but when you want to share
> /home/<user> across distros, the problem of configuration files and
> sym-links in the <users> directory become a problem.  I look at Open
> Office and Mozilla as two applications.  One person on the FHS list
> brought up the issue of Wine as well.

And *that's* *precisely* the reason I don't use RPMs for OpenOffice and
Mozilla and prefer to use their tarballs instead: Same program on all
machines, regardless of distro. No issues with configs - and I did get
bitten by that once, when OO wouldn't start anymore on one box due to
the configuration that OO on another box had written into the home
directory.

This will, however, be difficult to address. I've seen it happen not
only between Linux's, but also in mixed Unix environments - unless the
admin runs a very tight ship with regard to versioning.

[...]

Cheerio,

Thomas
--