Bind 9.2.2 problem - it works only with -f or -g

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Feb 13 14:13:03 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 13.02.2004 schrieb Horatius Farcas um 11:30:

> Hi. Please help me to make the named daemon on Fedora Core 1 (bind
> 9.2.2-P3) answering to domain requests.
>

> What I discovered up to now:
>
> 1.	After installing Fedora Core 1 and setting named to start
> automatically it start, but doesn't reply to any domain request . I did
> this on 2 separate machines, both brand new: same situation.
> 2.	I checked the named.conf file with named-checkconf and
> everything is OK.
> 3.	/var/log/messages report that the named starts succesfully EVEN
> on the interfaces rejected by me in named.conf!!
> 4.	If I start manually the daemon with -d 5 and -g options I
> discovered the first eror: Feb 13 11:01:58.656 couldn't open pid file
> '/var/run/named/named.pid': Permission denied
> 5.	I fixed that manually chmod 777 /var/run/named
> 6.	After that, named -g start corectly the DNS server and answer to
> all domain requests...That's OK! BUT AFTER A RESTART CRASH AGAIN.
>

> Bottom line: I can make named to answer to domain requests only if is
> started  with -f or -g option... ie DO NOT DAEMONIZE! On auto start or
> service named restart, it starts, but simply refuse to answer to all
> domain requests. On tcpdump I see the packets coming, and after a large
> period of time the server respond with SERVFAIL ...
>
> What is wrong?
>

> PS: iptables is DOWN!
>

> Thank U.
>
> Horatius Farcas

Hm, I can not acknowledge your indication in any way. Bind on FC1 runs
absolutely flawless. I run it even in chrooted mode.

/var/run/named is chmod 770 and chown named:named.

Could it be that your /etc/hosts file is damaged and does not contain a
absolutely necessary line:

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 15:07:07 up 4 days, 17:49, load average: 0.15, 0.11, 0.04
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]