Apache Permissions (addemdum)

Ron Herardian rherardi at gssnet.com
Sun Feb 15 20:56:54 UTC 2004

I would suggest creating a new group rather than using the built-in apache group and add the apache user to that new group. The default permissions are 755 for /var/www and var/www/html, owner/group root.root. It might make sense to change the gid to a different group and the permissions to 2775, e.g.:

chgrp -R admin www
chmod -R 2775 www
ls -ald www

	drwxrwsr-x    2 root     admin        4096 Feb 15 12:49 www

This will allow users in the example group (admin) to crate files and it will allow them to retain ownership of the files regardless of who edits them. If you don't use chmod g+s then the ownership of each file will change every time it's edited.

Ron