ALS and linux

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun Feb 15 22:46:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 21:56, Peter Reed wrote:
> He is unable to use the
> keyboard and has to use the mouse exclusively.  So my question is is
> there a distribution and/or software made for linux that you know of
> that would be sympathetic to a person in this situation.

GNOME has a number of assistive technologies.  Fedora Core comes with
GOK, GNOME Onscreen Keyboard.  It's not just a simple keyboard.  It can
reimplement most of the (GNOME) program's GUI within its keyboard
interface to minimize pointer movement.

Also, there's Dasher for use with eye-trackers and such:
  http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

GNOME Assistive Technologies:
  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gap/AT/

--