Mounting NTFS file system.

Andy Wallace linxit at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 16 08:24:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 05:57, Wayne Steenburg wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 00:50, Vikas.Bhasin at britishairways.com wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have my laptop configured in dual boot mode. I have Windows XP home
> > edition installed on NTFS filesystem and FC1 on other. When i tried to
> > mount the NTFS filesystem from FC1, i got the message that NTFS
> > filesystem cannot be mounted.
> >
> > Is there a way I can mount these partitions in Linux or do i have to
> > change the NTFS filesystem to someother that can be accessed from
> > Linux.?
> >
> > Thanks and Regards,
> > Vikas
>
> The Fedora kernel does not support NTFS out of the box for legal
> reasons.  You can find a kernel module at
> http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net

Am I imagining things here? I was able to mount NTFS on Fedora until
upgrading the kernel to 2.4.22-1.2140 or maybe 2149, not sure.

Everyone's talking as if it was never supported, but I can assure you it
was. I didn't see any announcements about dropping NTFS support, but
until a few weeks ago I was definitely able to mount my XP NTFS
partition read-only with a standard Fedora kernel.

Andy