How I updated to KDE 3.2

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Mon Feb 16 13:41:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 05:19, Charles Howse wrote:

<snip>

> The next thing that didn't work was KMail.
> I clicked the KMail icon, and it errored with:
> kdeinit cannot start kmail.
> I started kmail from a terminal and the actual error is:
> cannot find libkdenetwork.so.2
> KNode depends on this library, as well.
>
> I did yum provides libkdenetwork.so.2, and that told me that kdepim-develop
> provides libkdenetwork.so.2, so I did yum install kdepim-develop, and
> installed kdepim-develop and it's dependencies.
> Now KMail is working properly.

<snip>

Surely this has to be a packaging bug? Dynamic libraries that are linked
to by applications shouldn't reside in a -devel package. I'd report this
to the KDE package maintainers if you're absolutely sure that
libkdenetwork.so.2 resides in kdepim-develop (sounds very strange to
me...)

Cheers,
--
Tarjei