Web development on FC1

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Mon Feb 16 14:13:00 UTC 2004

On Feb 16, 2004, at 8:43 AM, Martin Alderson wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2004, at 13:34, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>>  vim or (x)emacs. Highly commended.
>
> Your kidding, right?
>
> There is no way you can design a heavily graphical site using a text
> editor.

That's a load of crap.  I'm not going to suggest that using text
editors suits everyone, but there's NOTHING stopping a talented
designer from coding sites "by hand".  It helps to ensure compliancy
with HTML/CSS and really allows the developer to become much more
familiar with the intracacies of his/her code.

Obviously, some folks prefer the ease-of-user and management
capabilities of Dreamweaver, et al, but there are others who are just
as happy with vi, cvs and ssh.  Looking at your site, I don't see
anything that couldn't be rewritten in vi within a matter of hours.

I still use vi and The Gimp on my Powerbook to design sites.  :)

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting