XFree86 License Change

adunn at micron.com adunn at micron.com
Mon Feb 16 21:51:45 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I hope that this isn't going to start the sort of flamefest that I've
seen elsewhere, but I'm going to take my chances.

I've read that the XFree86 license is changing as of version 4.4
(http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/forum/2004-January/001892.html).  In
fact, there's quite a brouhaha growing over on Slashdot about it because
Mandrake has elected to revert from version 4.4 back to 4.3.  Now, I see
that FC2 RC1 has Xfree86 4.3.  Does the license change mean that version
4.3 is as far as we go (at least until the license reverts back to a
FSF-approved one)?  Is this just a tempest in a teapot?  To me, it seems
as though the license just adds a few more lines of text to the
distribution's documentation.

Thanks!

Drew Dunn