How to get KDE 3.2 for FC1 that recognizes ALSA?

James Jones jamesjones01 at mchsi.com
Wed Feb 18 00:35:36 UTC 2004

I followed the instructions on http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/ to install
MythTV on my wife's computer with a WinTV PVR 250. I still can't get a
picture, but I don't _think_ that's important right now...

Part of the instructions strongly recommended using ALSA...so I followed
the instructions and switched to ALSA. This is all well and good, save
that my wife uses KDE. I'd just installed KDE 3.2 after reading the
glowing reviews.

Now artsd hogs the CPU (90+%) and periodically commits seppuku after
saying it's using too much of the CPU in a popup.

I went searching for people who'd had the same trouble--and found one,
who'd even found a solution:

Click Big K>Settings>Control Center; then Sound & Multimedia>Sound System.
Select the "Hardware" tab, and under "Select the audio device" pick ALSA
(it's spelled out).

The problem: that choice for "Select the audio device" isn't there!
(It's there on the computer I have that is running, um, Brand G Linux. :))

So...is there a Fedora Core repository that has the KDE 3.2 that knows
from ALSA?

    James Jones