Network Functionality Zero

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Feb 18 14:56:52 UTC 2004

At 23:45 2/17/2004, you wrote:
>Can someone recommend a new card that works right out of the box? I have
>not had problems with the RealTek 8139, but I have heard bad things
>about the card (maybe just an older spin of the card?).

It's easy to get a Realtek to work, but they are not very high-quality
cards from what I hear. They will have higher CPU utilization than others
and will be inefficient in several ways (search the archives for details,
this is just what my memory says).

I would take a look at some of the good/cheap cards out there, like Netgear
and D-Link. I have had good luck with both in the past, although my
"default" card when I wanted something good was 3Com.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com