new to linux and networking

Alexandre Strube surak at casa.surak.eti.br
Wed Feb 18 15:28:20 UTC 2004

Em Qua, 2004-02-18 às 11:55, Antoniak Adam escreveu:

> Thanx for a quick reply. To be honest I'm not sure what kind of ADSL
> connection my provider is going to offer me but I'm meeting a guy from the company
> and hope to learn more. Since the IP is to be a dynamic one I suspect DHCP.

There are two thing involved here:

1 - when your isp gives you an ip, it probably won't be dhcp. It's part
of ppp negotiation, doesn't matter if ip is dynamic or not.

2 - using dhcp on your internal network means that, for instance,
_______________          _______________________________________
|your computer|  ------> |192.168.254.254 |your modem| real ip | -> ISP
---------------          ---------------------------------------
192.168.254.x(from modem)

Which is:
You modem will connect to the isp. Isp will give it a real ip. Your
computer will get an internal IP from modem's DHCP server. Your modem
will behave as a router, converting addresses from your internal network
to external ones. In fact, it will have two network devices: one for the
internal network, one for internet.

The other mean is preety much like you are used to have:

____________________________________
|your computer|your modem| real ip |  -> ISP
------------------------------------

On this schema (PPPoE), your computer will have a second network device,
mostly called ppp0.

How the ISP will give you the IP, it doesn't matter. If it will give the
ip to your machine or to your modem, it matters.

> There is somebody coming to configure the net connection, but I do not expect
> them to support Linux and I will need to take care of it myself. Hence my
> questions :-) Once thanks again. I will be arround and post another message
> when I face any problems. And I'm sure I will :-)

Leave a spare windows machine for the isp guy to configure, this will
make him happy and you have someting preety easy to get configuration
from :-)

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group