Recommedations

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Feb 18 16:33:12 UTC 2004

At 10:18 2/18/2004, you wrote:
>Em Qua, 2004-02-18 às 13:03, Rodolfo J. Paiz escreveu:
> > There is also Sun StarOffice 7 which runs on Windows, Solaris, and Linux
> > and which costs only $80 in the USA for the whole package. I've used SO
> > since 6.0 for the last two years and I have been EXTREMELY pleased with
> it.
> > I just installed SO7 two days ago, but the initial impression is again
> > excellent.
>
>Is it that much better than Openoffice.org that would worth the payment?
>How does it compare to OOo Draw, since they forked from the same thing?

At the point in time when I made my decision, my key software factors were
the additional languages, dictionaries, spell-checkers, etc. in StarOffice
(given that I need to speak/write English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French)
and the greater stability in SO6 than in OO (again, at that time). However,
a strong and primary factor was that SO is the only decent (and decently
strong) commercial contender against MS Office, and most corporations base
most IT decisions around their office suite.

I chose to pay for SO in order to support them and help increase
competition for Microsoft. I am also attempting to convince small
businesses with which I have a relationship to move first to SO so they
have legal licenses for their software, and once they use SO I begin to
introduce Linux to them as well. So partly it was a software decision, but
also partly a political/macroeconomic one.

I have not made any recent comparison between OO and SO, since my political
reasons continue to be valid and I am 100% delighted with the SO product.
No interest in switching, even to save another $80.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com