Software Rec for Large Print

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Feb 18 23:25:18 UTC 2004

I've got a job that I need to do in-house to save some money. The output
needs to be a 16"x20" print (that I hope to get done at Kinko's since I
don't have a printer in that large of a format) with a black background
and white letters in a basic font that Fedora comes with. The problem
is: I'm out of my element for this task.

I tried OpenOffice, but the largest size is 96pt, and just is way too small.

I tried Gimp, but the largest font size there was 72pt, and thus too
small. My Grokking the Gimp text didn't have any advice (that I could find).

That makes me believe I'm not thinking about the problem correctly, and
need some advice!

This box is a fully-loaded FC1 machine with yum config'd, but I don't
know what software to even start searching for, and need some idea of
what tool/software I really should be considering. The resulting
printout is going in a nice frame for a string quartet. I like the look
of what I did in Gimp, but it just isn't big enough.

I sure could use some advice here. Is there a software package that is
available via yum (or otherwise) that fits the bill for creating a large
-- really large -- document/font size? Am I doing something wrong in
Gimp and it can do the job?

Thanks,
Clint