how do others deal with /var during upgrades?

Christofer C. Bell cbell at jayhawks.net
Thu Feb 19 14:31:24 UTC 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Ian Mortimer wrote:
>

> > >   under /var, you'd find things like web and ftp server data that you'd
> > > probably want to carry across to the new install.  on the other hand,

I tar up /var/spool/mail, /var/spool/cron, /var/www, and /var/ftp and then
nuke the rest.  When the new system is installed, I just untar that
content over the new directories.  Yes, /var is a mess.  Personally, I
feel that when going to a new system, unless you have system logs you want
to preserve, it should be safe to blow away /var completely.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown