Palm Zire

Mauri Sahlberg Mauri.Sahlberg at claymountain.com
Thu Feb 19 05:53:45 UTC 2004

ke, 2004-02-18 kello 22:50, Michael McCabe kirjoitti:
> I've just received a Palm Zire the m150 model and I'm having trouble
> getting it to sync at all.  I'd like to sync using Evolution but the
> Connection just times out.  I've modprobed the usbserial and visor
> kernel modules like the spares documentation that I've seen told me to
> do. Any pointers on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

I have Palm Zire 71 and got it work in some extent. I can sync almost
every time. And on those times when it is impossible I just restart
gpilotd with control-applet.

I guess you have tried the obvious, created a symlink from /dev/pilot or
/dev/pilotusb to ttyUSB1? Given that device to some group you belong to,
like wheel?

I guess you have tried with pilot-xfer, which seems to be a bit more
reliable than gpilotd, at least it will give you explicit error
messages. (Some say that coldsync is the most reliable and stable suite
for syncing pilot, I haven´t tried it but probably shall as soon as I
find time to do it.)

What I didn't get it to do are:
- Restore crashes every time, this I found the hard way out. Inserted
256MB sD and it reseted pilot and emptied it's memory. Luckily, hah,
hah, I had a synced backup which I was unable to restore with restore
- zire-photo conduit crashes gpilotd every time
- Crashes my whole Dell workstation at work. The whole computer just
freezes which I think is a sign of a hardware bug
- To get it work every time

I have reported gpilotd crash to both Fedora bugzilla and Gnome
bugzilla.

I strongly suggest that if you get it work you test the restore before
you lose anything. I didn't actually lose anything as I was able to
restore things manually with pilot-xfer but it took some time.

I will be booting to windows to make backups until I have time to test
coldsync, fix the bug or wait to get it fixed by someone who has
actually worked on gpilotd. :-)

Regards,
--
Mauri Sahlberg <Mauri.Sahlberg at claymountain.com>