Different XF86Config for different user

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Thu Feb 19 21:23:31 UTC 2004

Robin Laing wrote:

> My daughter uses our computer for games and such thus uses
> ctrl+alt+(num+) to change the resolution to suit her needs and my wife
> likes a different resolution than my daughter.  In both cases, the total
> screen isn't shown on the monitor, just part of it and message dialog
> boxes can be missed.

You can specify "novirtual" in XF86Config to get rid of that silly
virtual desktop. Then I think X will behave as you'd expect, the
boundary of your desktop at all modes is then the same as your monitor.

> Some WWW sites don't work to well at higher resolutions.

If it's the size of the text that's a problem and you're using mozilla,
you can just type Ctrl +/Ctrl - to make the text larger or smaller. It
doesn't seem like changing the screen resolution out to be necessary to
view a web page.

Peter