Micro$oft $uck$

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Feb 19 23:32:47 UTC 2004

Robin Laing wrote:

> James Kosin wrote:
>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert P. J. Day"
>> <rpjday at mindspring.com>

...blah blah blah...

>> I've had to rebuild my Windows machine many times because of things like
>> this.
>>
> I have yet to rebuild a linux machine in almost 10 years.
>

>> Thanks,
>> James

I have rebuilt many linux machines, in the past 10 years.

Over the last 10 years Linux has changed a lot, and I doubt many people
are still running kernel 1.x... . Hardware has changed a lot too, although I still have a 486sx kicking around with a minimal RH 5.2
install on it for packet sniffing, I doubt too many people are still
happily using them for daily use.

We have actualy moved all our servers over to FreeBSD, and after RH
broke wine in 8.0, most of our workstations were moved back to MS or
Mac's with OS X. I have just barely been able to hang on to my Linux
desktop. Because I do a lot of software development, I have so far
been able to use that to keep my Linux machine. The only thing that I
could stand to replace my linux machine is a Mac with OS X, but even
that doesn't appeal to me.

I hope that once FC2 comes out running kernel 2.6 there will be a lot
less RH specific patches to the kernel, so wine won't break every
second kernel release. That way I won't have to wine as much. :-)

Ooh look, quitting time =:) later, people.