fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #1099 - 28 msgs

Doug Lane douglane at optonline.net
Sat Feb 21 04:35:46 UTC 2004

> You could take a look at http://www.linuxcad.com/
>
> Yes I know it's not free, but it's a lot closer to it than AutoCad and claims
> to be very similar including the commands and file format support.
>
> BTW I've not tried it myself, but would be interested to hear reports about it
> from anybody who has.
>
> Dave Fletcher

Linuxcad is not really an option if you need functionality similar to
Autocad.  I have been searching for a cad program that can come close to
acad, also.  I think Varicad has promise http://www.varicad.com/ and is
reasonably priced.  Arcad is promising too.  There is a large list of
links which appear to still be fairly current.  Check them out at
http://www.upfrontezine.com/Linux/?CADINFONETreferral

It is a shame that there isn't a industry strength cad program ported to
linux.  Pro/E I believe is the only one.

I think that the OpenOffice draw package is not bad and should be
developed for cad-like accuracy and functionality.  It does do a fairly
good 2-D job though.

Good luck.

Doug Lane