RH now exiting 1 more data center

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Feb 22 01:20:08 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 18:30, Res wrote:

> Well ive listened to the other bashers and those ones who think Fedora
> will be better than the RH we knew....I maintain about 40 slackware
> boxes, 2 fedora and 3 RH9. since the last round of updates the 2 fedora
> boxes have died several times without reason, total lockup on kernel
> panics. the other boxes incl rh9 just chug away like they are not even
> there, because  RH 9 will cease to get supporot in 2 months, i will be
> going into the data center today to piss off the 2 fedora boxes and
> replace them with slackware, and sadly,in a couple months or whenever i
> get sick of manually making and applying updates, the 2 RH9 boxes will go
> to slackware as well...

	You're always welcome to use any distro you like.  It's not about the
distro but about Linux.  While many have not had any problems with
Fedora there are some who have.  Just last week a long time, die hard
Slack user for many years switched to Fedora.  No big deal either way.
In my personal opinion, though, I wouldn't run a data center on
Slackware.  There's just to much missing from it.  I know it can do the
job just fine but the maintenance of a Slack box is astronomical
compared to any of the other distros.  You would probably be better
served to look into the RHEL clones like White Box or Tao or CentOS-3.

> I find it unacceptable that fedora is now the winblow$ on the linux
> world., as I and numerous other loyal RH's since almost day one saw
> this lack of QC with these fedora changes, I am not at all suprised.
>
> I do not know what checking process is in place now with this 'open co
> munity' bullshit but its F'in pathetic QC compared to the old.

	So far I've found the quality of packages in FC1 to be a bit better
than RH 9, but YMMV.

--
Kuramarujo - http://www.webtrek.com/~klemmerj/sumo.html