Fedora Updater

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sun Feb 22 11:26:34 UTC 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:33:09 -0800, Ty Spilker wrote:

> Mandrake always crashed when I would try run a gzip command
>
> I went to update Fedora after I had finish installing, ... the install
> stopped. It wouldn't even start

Seen it a hundred times before...

One or more of your memory modules is stuffed.

Edit your /etc/grub.conf and append "mem=128M" to the line that looks
like:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-<etc, etc> ro root=/dev/<something> mem=128M

And reboot and try again. Try different memory sizes between <your max>
and <the size of one of your modules> in multiples of that single size.
If after all that, it still doesn't work, swap the modules in banks 1 an
<the last bank> (3,4?). Then try the above again. Eventually you'll work
out which is/are the faulty module(s) - (maybe all of them).

Even now, some people find it hard to believe their hardware is at fault
in situations like this, because "it works on Windows". It's a known fact
that Linux will reveal weaknesses in your hardware that Windows won't.
Trust me, it's the memory modules ... I'd bet money on it.

-
K.