post installation problems

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Feb 22 14:40:35 UTC 2004

Brian Marsh wrote:

>Hi,
>

>--snip--
>

>Any ideas?
>
>Also, another thing that has been confusing me is the whole PCMCIA /
>Network cards stuff. I have it working for now, but from what I can tell
>during boot up is that the system tries to initiate network card before
>the PCMCIA and therefore claims that the card (eth0) cannot be found.
>Can anyone point me to some information regarding these types of issues
>so I can gain a better understanding of what is going on?

The sequence of starting things is controlled by the listings in the
/etc/rcX.d directories. (X is your runlevel)

If you look there you will likely find SXXpcmcia has a higher number
than SXXnetwork.
If you change that by renameing the files so the pcmcia starts first it
will solve this problem.
BTW, the XX in the names above indicates the sequence they start.  Lower
numbers start first.
Delaying the start of the network will easily fix this for you.