Giving up on Linux...

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Feb 22 19:22:07 UTC 2004

Bill Gradwohl wrote:

>>Can you flash a BIOS within Linux?  Aren't all of the vendors flash BIOS
>>utilities only for Windows?  Or can you use some sort of bootdisk with
>>the flash utility on it?
>>

>I have a DOS floppy I use to boot boxes for flashing purposes. If a vendor
>were to try to force me to use Windows, he would get $0.00 of my business.
>
>ASUS is the largest main board maker in the world. They provide a BIOS
>upgrade utility that runs under DOS for every main board we've ever gotten
>from them. I add the flash utility and the actual BIOS flash file to the
>floppy and run the flash utility after a clean reboot. That's it.

I second this.   I have flashed several types of mobos.  Asus, Soyo,
 MSI,  Giabyte, and others.
Always by booting with a dos floppy then flashing .  I don't recall any
that can be flashed when the full OS is running.  Some of the
manufacturers distribute the bios flash as a self booting/flash floppy
so you don't even need the extra disk.