Dell Inspiron 7500 Woes..

Adam Cooper adam.cooper at port.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 09:49:01 UTC 2004

I decided to take the week end to do a fresh install of FC on my laptop.
The install went fine, no errors or anything. I selected my screen (Dell
Laptop 1400x1050) and my mouse (2 Button PS2), and feodra found my
radeon mobility 7500 just fine. The problems start after booting...

1. I want to use my new spangled 1400x1050 screen. So I go to
preferences, load the screen resolution tools and switch it. For the
most part bit's of the screen are easier to read but since everything
seems to be jumbled around and overlapping it's pretty much unusable.
Imagine shrinking your display to 4/5 it's original size, tiling it,
then overlaying it over the top of it's original self and you get the
desired effect. Does anybody know how I can fix this. Googling has
provided no answers.

2. After installing apt and synaptic, adding livina to the sources and
doing an update of everything I seem to have lost all text from my gnome
apps. This includes; The graphical login screen, all dialog boxes, gnome
desktop, and all gnome (GTK?) apps. Strangly enough KDE seems
unaffected. But since most of the apps are gnome based the system is
pretty much unusable. What could have caused this? I realise it was one
of the updates but I don't know which. How can I fix It or will I need
to reinstall?

Thanks for any help

Adam