Disk I/O - too slow?

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 04:49:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 22:56, Don Levey wrote:
> I've been looking for performance tweaks, as certain things seem a bit
> slow, such as I/O and display.  I had gotten a hot display card, for
> example, from ATI on the basis of their having Linux drivers - only to
> find that those drivers are... incomplete.  I was hoping to make up some
> speed at disk level.  Oh well.
> Thanks again,
>  -Don

My laptop has a Radeon Mobility 7500.  With glxgears I get an average of
1036.400 FPS running in 16bit mode.  My desktop has a decent Gefore 3 Ti
500 and I get about 3,200 FPS with glxgears.

Run glxgears for about 20 seconds to see what kind of FPS you get.  Do
not resize the window, leave it at the default.  You could also try to
run glgears in 16bit mode by chaning the DefaultDepth in your "Screen"
section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA