Hard disk issues - FSTAB info

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Feb 25 02:31:21 UTC 2004

Gabriel Birrane wrote:

> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
> defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
> defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc
> defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/sda2               swap                    swap
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
> noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
>> From: Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net>
>> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>> Subject: Re: Hard disk issues
>> Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:41:46 -0600

>>> How do I do this (in simple terms)?
>>> I would like to mount it so that I have the remaining 230Gb
>>> availalbe to "/"
>>

>> can you send a copy of /etc/fstab ???
>> the info you sent earler identifies /dev/sda2 as swap, and about
>> 1.7gb in size.

Thanks

>> Now the following needs to be done.
>> # fdisk /dev/sda
>> and create a new partition.
>> # mke2fs -j /dev/sdaX
>> Where X is the new partition number. The -j makes it an ext3
>> partition but use the options appropriate for you.
>> Indications are that you only have /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 defined,
>> so this might be /dev/sda3 if you define it as a primary partition or
>> /dev/sda5 if you define it as an extended partition.
>>
>> Then you will need to define a mount point for this new partition.
>> You indicate you want it to be at /, but that is impossible.  You
>> already have /dev/sdb1 mounted at /.
>> You may mount it at any desired subdirectory/mount point.  I use /var
>> /usr /tmp /home /opt as mount points for appropriately sized
>> partitons. Once the decision is made of where to nount it, then you
>> can use the mount command to actually perform the mount and modify
>> the /etc/fstab file to mount it at boot time.
>>
>> Use the man pages for mount and fstab to provide more info.
>> Also be aware that you should never mount a filesystem over a
>> directory that already has content.  Doing so will make the existing
>> content inaccessible.

Another poster mentioned LVM as a possible solution.  I have used LVM
under AIX on the rs6000 servers, but never under linux.  If it works
similarly you will need to put both the drives in a volume group and
then define a logical volume using both physical drives as the /
partiton and it would work very well

Maybe someone else can give you the details for this