X slow startup

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 02:59:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 16:52, Alberto Cardinalli Jr. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know that problems with NVIDIA drivers and other stuff aren't the
> focus of this list, but I really tried everything that I saw in NVIDIA
> discussion forum, nothing resolved my problem and NVIDIA don't give us
> an answer. So I think that someone can help me with some hint. In my
> machine X startup takes about 30 seconds, but when I had an old kernel
> and driver versions(nvidia:4496/kernel:2129), it was normal.

I forgot to mention.  The issue was the same for me.  The NVidia driver
worked fine until I upgraded to a newer version, and wham, X would take
40 seconds to start.  It was not a kernel issue since I could upgrade
the kernel without it changing X's startup time.  For such an old card,
your best to stick with version 4496 of the NVidia driver.

> --
> Alberto C. Jr.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA