X slow startup

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 02:56:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 16:52, Alberto Cardinalli Jr. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know that problems with NVIDIA drivers and other stuff aren't the
> focus of this list, but I really tried everything that I saw in NVIDIA
> discussion forum, nothing resolved my problem and NVIDIA don't give us
> an answer. So I think that someone can help me with some hint. In my
> machine X startup takes about 30 seconds, but when I had an old kernel
> and driver versions(nvidia:4496/kernel:2129), it was normal.
>
> My machine:
>
> Video Card: Riva TNT2 32Mb RAM PCI
Here is the problem ^^^

I had an old Riva TNT and it would take X about 30-45 seconds to start.
If I replace the NVidia driver with the nv driver from Linux, X would
start right up.  I found that I needed to downgrade my NVidia driver a
few releases and the startup time returned to normal.  I think it is
something in the new drivers and how they initialize the cards.   I
think their drivers are tweaked for newer cards like the GeForce line.
Your best bet is to just buy a newer card, you can get a GeForce 2,3,4
card dirt cheap and the startup time goes back to normal.
If you don't want to get another card, see if you can get an older
release of the NVidia drivers.  Keep going back releases until you find
the version that does not have the issue.  I do not recall what version
number it was.

> --
> Alberto C. Jr.

Jim Drabb
The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/NT/XP or better."
So, I installed LINUX!
James Drabb JR
Senior Programmer Analyst
Davenport, FL USA