fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #1138 - 27 msgs

Don Rogers drogers at shasta.com
Wed Feb 25 22:02:29 UTC 2004

> On Wednesday 25 February 2004 20:59, Don Rogers wrote:
>
> > It should be able to do 1024x768 at 18bit color (262K).  The best that I
> > have gotten is 800x600 with Millions of colors.
>
> > Any ideas how to proceed?  The 18bit color depth seems unusual.
>
> Don't think so -- just use 24 or 32-bit colour in the video card, the LCD will
> use the 18 that it can and discard the rest.  Basically the fact your LCD can
> only handle 6 bits per colour is a local issue for your LCD, treat it as if
> it can handle 8 bits per colour and it will use the most significant 6 bits
> of each colour.
>
> X is probably rejecting your requests for better resolution because it
> believes the monitor is not capable of it.  Examine your /etc/X11/XF86Config
> file looking for the Section "Monitor" part and specifically the HorizSync
> and VertRefresh parameters inside that.  Try increasing the second value on
> each and restarting X.
>
> - -Andy

Hmmm, interesting.  Part of my problem is that the monitor type was
detected as a generic LCD, and Gateway did not provide any specs on what
the monitor can do with regard to the HorizSync and VertRefresh.  I
understand that you can damage a monitor by using inappropriate values
here.

Do you have any guidance on how far I can push these?

Don Rogers
drogers at shasta.com