Resolution on laptop

Don Rogers drogers at shasta.com
Thu Feb 26 17:29:39 UTC 2004

> Don Rogers wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >I am having trouble getting a Gateway M305X laptop to run X at the
> >machine's native (advertised) resolution.
> >
> >I am running Fedora Core 1.
> >
> >It should be able to do 1024x768 at 18bit color (262K).  The best that I
> >have gotten is 800x600 with Millions of colors.
> >
> >I have tried changing /etc/X11/XF86Config by adding another 'Display'
> >subsection to the 'Screen' section where:
> > Depth 18     "1024x768"
> >
> >Then I launched another X session with
> >'startx -- :1 -depth 18'
> >
> >That seems to lock the machine up tight!  Reboot required!
> >
> >Any ideas how to proceed?  The 18bit color depth seems unusual.
> >

> AFAIK the standard color depths are 8,16, 24, and 32
> try the 16 bit depth.

Jeff,
Yes, it seems odd, but that is what the Gateway specs say.  I got an earlier message from
Andy Green on this list saying ( if I understood correctly ) that specifiying a greater color
depth (24) would work fine because it will only use as many bits as it is capable of.  That i,
just the first 18.

Andy, if you read this, I tried increasing the hsync and vsync frequencies a bit, up to
71Khz and 79Hz ( up from 67 and 75 ), and that seemed to make no difference.  I am hesitant to
go higher without knowing what the capability of the monitor is.  Do you have any idea
how far it is safe to go with the sync rates?

I spent a bit of time browsing the list archives in the XFree86 sections.  For a bit I thought
that I might have a problem with the BIOS not allocating the full 8M of ram, but the log file
shows that is NOT the case.  I am going to post my XFree86.0.log file to one of those lists
and see what they have to say.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to any more suggestions...

Don Rogers
drogers at shasta.com