grub and windows XP

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri Feb 27 08:35:20 UTC 2004

2 ways to do this..

1. Use XP as boot loader
2. Use Grub as boot loader.

if 1.

You will need to reinstall grub into the root partition of your linux
install eg: /dev/hda2(or hda3 I don't know)

boot from the FC1 disk, at the prompt type in
# linux rescue
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install /dev/hda2 (this is assuming /dev/hda2
				  is the root "/" directory)
# reboot

Then you will need to rip that MBR of grub from the root partition
and put it somewhere that XP can access.. using either the program
"bootimage"
(google for it) or use the linux command

# dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/fedorabt.lnx bs=512 count=1
# cp /fedorabt.lnx into a floppy or whatever method you have to
transfer files from linux to Windows.

Boot into XP

go start->run->notepad c:\boot.ini  (make sure that boot.ini is writable by
you also)

put in in the last line

c:\fedorabt.lnx "Fedora Core 1 (The Real Ultimate XPerience)"

Save and then reboot. You should see an entry for Fedora
 in the XP loader. Boot into grub from there.

2nd Method.

Fudge XP loader and use grub only.
Boot using FC1 CD
# linux rescue
# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# grub-install /dev/hda (root directory of Hard Disk.. eg: MBR)
# edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf as per what Wade Chandler documented in
another email

title Windows XP
        rootnoverify (hd0,1) <--the 1 is depending on where you have your XP
chainloader +1          partition. On your config.. it's either 0 or 1.
					  (I'm using 1 cause 0 is used by
DELL's diagnostic
					   partition)

Save.. Exit.. Reboot.. and there you have it!!

Hope it helps..