Grub.conf example for dual disk dual boot (Was re: Grub.conf...)

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Fri Feb 27 16:18:09 UTC 2004

I'll add one to the mix of controversy. The following grub.conf allows
me to dual boot onto Windows 2000, with two separate SCSI disks. It does
disk order swapping so that Win2k will boot properly. Win2k is on the
"second" SCSI disk.

# Global Section
default=0
timeout=8
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
# Password string here removed
password --md5 [md5hash here, use grub-md5-crypt]

# Linux - Current kernel only - I'm brave
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl)
# Set root as first HDD
  root (hd0,0)
# Acpi is on, use framebuffer 1024x768x16bit, use Red Hat Graphical Boot
  kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on vga=791 rhgb
  initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.img

# Windows 2000, only when neccesary :-)
title Windows 2000
# Reverse SCSI disk order so that Win2k sees the second SCSI disk as C:
# This allows a Linux/Grub HDD to be added and set as bootable (first),
# while still preserving the MBR/Win2k installation on the second
# (original) HDD.
  map (hd0) (hd1)
  map (hd1) (hd0)
# Set root for Grub as second HDD (hd1)
  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
# Load Windows Bootloader to start OS
  chainloader +1

Enjoy,
-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)