Broken Pipe Error Message

Gary Waters gwaters at rci-enr.net
Sat Feb 28 02:24:23 UTC 2004

Bevan,

Thanks for responding...

> What's in your /etc/nsswitch.conf file?

The contents are listed below....

> I apologize for joining late and not having all the details of the
> original problem handy, but with the archive down I'm stuck with what

I noticed the archives were down. That was my first stop before I moved
to google...

#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#	nisplus or nis+		Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#	nis or yp		Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#	dns			Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#	files			Use the local files
#	db			Use the local database (.db) files
#	compat			Use NIS on compat mode
#	hesiod			Use Hesiod for user lookups
#	[NOTFOUND=return]	Stop searching if not found so far
#

# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files

#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns

# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files