Directory Permissions

Luis A. La Luz clovis at cox.net
Sat Feb 28 19:11:38 UTC 2004

I know that there is an obvious answer to this but just started using
Linux Fedora Core and need help. I have a dual boot system with Linux
Fedora and Win XP Home. I have Windows on a NTFS partition but put in a
30 gbyte vfat partition on the same 120 gbyte hard drive in order to
share files between systems. I have Linux On a 20 gbyte separate drive.
I have documents that I want to access and write to from Linux in the
vfat partition. I edited the fstab file to mount the vfat  partition
with the following line;

/dev/hda5	/win		vfat	default		0 0

Now when I boot up I can access the documents and read and write as root
but as a regular user I can only read. I looked up the chmod command and
tried to use it as root to change the permissions to the win directory
and also used the chown command to change ownership of the directory.
The system won't let me do either, even as root. I also tried to change
it fro the console as root but it denied permission. Is it a problem
with vfat directories or did i edit the fstab file wrong?

I love working with Linux as I am older and remember my days with DOS
prompt when learning to use the system was a challenge.

Luis