Anyone have lm_sensors working for ASUS P4P800 M/B?

Robert D. Arendt rda at rincon.com
Thu Jan 1 06:50:08 UTC 2004

Robert D. Arendt wrote:
> Some web searches indicate that the ASUS P4P800 motherboard
> has a W83627THF-A sensor chip.  However, the Fedora kernel
> (even the latest) doesn't have the w83627hf.o module needed to
> read it.
>
> Does anyone have a working linux temperature readout?  If so,
> how do you set it up?  Did you have to patch and rebuild the kernel?

Answering my own question.  This site had some good info:
http://www.neurauter.at/yalp/RHlmsensors.php

I now have working sensors.  This is what I did:

Got fresh tarballs for i2c and lm_sensors:
http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/archive/i2c-2.8.2.tar.gz
http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/archive/lm_sensors-2.8.2.tar.gz

I'm using a i686 SMP kernel.  The kernel-source rpm is installed, then
   cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
   cp configs/kernel-2.4.22-i686-smp.config  .config
The kernel module build uses info from the .config file

Unpack, build, & install i2c (assumes prefix=/usr/local)
   tar xzf i2c-2.8.2.tar.gz
   cd i2c-2.8.2
   make clean
   make all
   make install

Unpack, build, & install lm_sensors (assumes prefix=/usr/local)
   tar xzf lm_sensors-2.8.2.tar.gz
   cd lm_sensors-2.8.2
   make clean
   make all
   make install
   cp prog/init/lm_sensors.init /etc/init.d/lm_sensors
   cp etc/sensors.conf.eg  /etc/sensors.conf

Note that the new libraries and binaries are under /usr/local/{bin,lib}
Add /usr/local/bin to /etc/ld.so.conf, then run "ldconfig"

Execute /usr/local/bin/sensors-detect (selecting all the defaults)
This generates a /usr/sysconfig/lm_sensors file.
I removed the eeprom & i2c-i801 lines, so:
   MODULE_0=i2c-isa
   MODULE_1=w83627hf

Start the service, and enable it to start on boot-up
   service   lm_sensors start
   chkconfig lm_sensors on

Now temp1 = M/B temp, and temp2 = CPU temp, and I have a nice gkrellm display

Cheers (& Happy New Year),
-Bob Arendt