K3b: ide-scsi

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Thu Jan 1 16:50:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:00:51 -0500 (EST), Krikket wrote:

> Folks, just a quick word of warning before you attempt this...
>
> Yesterday afternoon, I edited /etc/grub.conf to add "hdx=ide-scsi".  (I'm
> saying hdx, becuase I forget the correct letter for my configuration.
> Needless to say, I checked the dmesg output to find the correct drive
> letter.)
>
> But when I got around to rebooting the system, GRUB choked, and choked
> hard.  It could no longer recognize the Linux partitions.

That "hdx=ide-scsi" is a kernel parameter

  $ cat /proc/cmdline
  ro root=LABEL=root hdc=ide-scsi rhgb

and GRUB does not care about it at all. It just passes it on to the
kernel. I have doubts that it can cause GRUB to "choke" or eat your config
file. Or do you mean that the kernel was seriously confused by the
hdx=ide-scsi parameter and malfunctioned?

> Load up the Fedora CD #1 and run "linux rescue".  While I was not able to
> enter and move about the file system, the grub.conf file had vanished...

> I ended up having to do a reinstall from scratch.  I wasn't even given the
> option of upgrading a previous install.

What else was damaged or missing? Just grub.conf? You could have recreated
that file to fix your system.