MySQL 4 or Higher

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Thu Jan 1 19:52:33 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 17:27, Gerald Henriksen wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:53:59 +0000, you wrote:
>
> >> However the ones who *really* pay attention won't do it with MySQL 4
> >> because it violates the MySQL license.
> >
> >Not exactly. The GPL only adds restrictions upon distribution acts. The
> >software that depends on PHP does not link with it. What links with
> >mysql and is being distributed is PHP, and here is the problem.
>
> Nope.  See the following from the GPL FAQ
> ( http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL ):

I know the FAQ. That doesn't change one line of what I said. The problem
is not the project's but PHP's. Only through incompetence can it be a
project's problem (aka, no database independence).

As for modifying YOUR copy of PHP...

Remember that the First Freedom, always upheld by the GPL, of Free
Software is to run the program for any purpose, and the Second, as well
always upheld, is to study and modify the software to your needs.

YOU can always make changes to your COPY of PHP so it links with MySQL
and you're a happy camper. Someone may even have made that study
previously, making your life easier.

So when I hear that said and such software is changing DB because of
MySQL "licensing problems" and they never even have the need to choose a
DB, I can't but think of how unreasonable that is.

And any program using PHP's ou PERL's database abstraction modules
should always use standard SQL so the choice of DB is left to the user
and not to developer whims.

Rui
+ So let's do it...?