Flash disk

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Jan 1 21:18:40 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-01 00:35, Margo whipped out a trusty #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> Hi
>
> Background:
>
> When I first installed Fedora I plugged in my flash disk and nothing
> happened. I worked on this for 3 days and then finally realised that
> the usb ports weren't working at all. I have since changed the MB and
> they work.
>
> So. Flash disk no 1 now works.
>
> Unfortunately Flash disk No 2 got formatted as fat32 to see if that
> would make it work before I found out the usb ports weren't working.
>
> When I plug it in n ow, it's picked up as a flash disk (good) however
> the filesystem comes up as unknown or not recognised.
>
> I have searched everywhere to find out the command to reformat the
> disk as vfat in linux... perhaps its too basic a command to be in any
> faq. Can anyone help.

At the command line, type "man mkfs".

You probably want to issue:  "mkfs -t msdos /dev/whatever

I'm not sure, but I think FAT32 (-t vfat) isn't supported for flash
drives....How did you manage to get it formatted that way in the first
place?

--
Fritz Whittington
Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life. (Immanuel Kant)