Show Details on Bootup

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Jan 1 23:53:05 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-01 17:15, Rodolfo J. Paiz whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

> At 17:12 1/1/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>>
>>> Not to worry, Randall... I've been around Linux for a while now, and
>>> I couldn't find anything in the release notes to answer your
>>> question either.
>>

>> Did you miss the part where it said "Graphical booting is controlled
>> by the GRAPHICAL  line in the /etc/sysconfig/init file; set it to
>> "no" to permanently disable graphical booting.", or do you feel that
>> this does not answer your question?
>>
>> Setting GRAPHICAL to "no" will disable rhgb, giving you the standard
>> console boot messages, which is practically the same as "show
>> details" in rhgb, it's just less pretty.
>

> The OP did not ask how to disable the graphical bootup; he asked how
> to have it always show details. These are NOT the same thing.

I admit that *might* be what he intended, but he didn't say that, and it
isn't really clear from his post:

> Is there any way for me to edit a file for Fedora
> so that when the computer boots I don't have to
> click on the "show details" every time to see what
> is going on?

If you edit grub.conf, take off the "rhgb", then when you boot, you'll
see all the details, without having to click on anything.   If he
installed the graphical boot without really realizing what it would do,
then he would have no way of knowing that the text-only boot was also
available.  Especially, as it seems, he may not have had prior
experience with a Red Hat boot....

--
Fritz Whittington
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. (Marie Ebner von Eschenbach, Aphorisms, 1905)