Gnome-Terminal in KDE

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Fri Jan 2 04:48:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Simon Perreault wrote:

> On January 1, 2004 18:08, Krikket wrote:
> > The KDE terminal is nice, but lacking in
> > changing alphabets...
>
> What do you mean?

For example:

I'm learning Russian.  Unicode is good to use, if the other person is
using Unicode.  The problem is, odds are they aren't.  If it's email, more
than likely they'll be using KOI8-R.  (That's the standard for email.
I'm sure there are some RFCs you can look up if you want.)  Unless they're
a clueless user on a Windows machine (Yes, M$ ignored the standards yet
again...), then there's a good chance that they'll be using W-1251.
KOI8-R, W-1251, and Unicode (UTF-8) are *not* compatable for viewing
cyrillic characters.

So I need to switch fonts to display the alphabet correctly.  This needs
to be able to done on the fly -- it's not practical to have to log out of
my ssh session to load another terminal with the correct cyrillic font,
ssh back, read the email, and then log back out so I can load my default
fonts.

Gnome-Terminal is *wonderful* for this.  Click on (IIRC) view, character
sets, and then choose the correct set.  Hit <CTRL-L> to refresh the
screen, and you can now read the odd font.  And flipping back is just as
easy.

Krikket