2 Gb File Size Limit ?

Ben Davis jamin.davis at mail.ee
Fri Jan 2 10:41:20 UTC 2004

"Ow Mun Heng" <ow.mun.heng at wdc.com> screef:

>> The smb file system driver in Linux 2.4 has a 2GB size limit.

> Actually, according to the samba team, the 2Gb limit is actually if you
> use
> mount -t smbfs command which is not within the scope of samba. they
> recommend using smbclient.

well there's something I didn't know - and I've been using Samba since pre
v2... never been an issue for me. I've got several SMB shares mounted from
/etc/fstab on a variety of Windoze boxen, one of them is a +-15gb mp3
share - no problems.

I'm using 2.4.xx, but AFAIR this wasn't a problem on 2.2.xx kernels either
-- so I'm curious, where is this limit defined? I run Samba 2.2.1
(patched) and 3.0.0-15 here.

Groetz....j

--
Jamin - @Manchester UK | @Maastricht NL | @Tallinn EE