Installing Fedora from ISO Images - Question again

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Fri Jan 2 18:10:12 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-02 11:29, Barry Yu whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> I am very musch interested that how you can load the Mandrake into a
> laptop without both floppy drive and cdrom (If I understand your
> laptop equipped devices correctly), would you care to share?

> david.hunt.linux at comcast.net wrote:

>> the

>> writing

>> them.

>> install

>>> Boot up Mandrake 9.1 and then issue the commands:
>>>
>>> mount /first/fedora/iso/image.iso /mnt/cdrom -o loop
>>> mount /mnt/cdrom/images/bootdisk.img /mnt/floppy -o loop
>>> mkdir /boot/fedora
>>> cp /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz /boot/fedora
>>> cp /mnt/floppy/initrd.img /boot/fedora
>>>
>>> now add the following lines to your grub.conf file:
>>>
>>> title - Install Fedora Core 1 -
>>> root (hd0,1)
>>> kernel /boot/fedora/vmlinuz
>>> initrd /boot/fedora/initrd.img
>>>
>>> Pay attention to the "root (hd0,1)" part and change it to match the
>>>

>> "root..."
>>

>>> part from the Mandrake installation.
>>>
>>> That's it, now reboot your computer and select "Install Fedora Core
>>> 1" from
>>> Grub's menu. After a few dialogs you will be asked to enter the path
>>> to the
>>> Fedora Core iso images so make sure you'll remember it. Also note
>>> that the
>>> iso images cannot be loaded from a NTFS partition ( if you have the
>>> images
>>>

>> on
>>

>>> a Windows partition move them to one of Mandrake's partitions).
>>>

>>> Mihai
>>>

>> Thank you very much for all of the help. This was my first post to a
>> Linux
>> mailing list, and the response was great. Of course, best of all, it
>> solved
>> my problem. I'm a little confused as to how to respond to these
>> emails. It
>> is not obvious that this will end up in the right place. But, here it
>> goes.
>>
>> I tried the advice of Mihai (included above), since it was the
>> closest to
>> how I was thinking it would be done. For my specific setup, there
>> were only
>> a few deviations.
>>
>> 1.I have no floppy drive, so there was no /mnt/floppy directory.
>> Without a
>> pre-existing directory the mount command didn't work. After simply
>> adding
>> the empty directory, the mount command worked fine.
>>
>> 2. I currently use LILO, but making the changes to /etc/lilo.conf was
>> easy
>> enough. I don't know if it is required, but with LILO, it is
>> necessary to
>> type in "lilo" at the command prompt, after changing the lilo.conf
>> file, for
>> the changes to actually take effect.
>>
>> 3. One more thing. The .ISO files have to be in the root "/"
>> directory of
> [...]
I think the OP mentions he doesn't have a floppy or a CD *writer*, not
that he didn't have a CD-ROM drive.  But I admit it's a little unclear.

If he does have a CD-ROM drive, I think he would be best advised to go
to one of the places on the Net which will mail you the 3 CDs for less
than $5.   That's what I did, because even though I have a CD burner, I
have a 56k dialup connection :-( and downloading them would have taken
longer than the US mail...

--
Fritz Whittington
"You need only two tools. WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and