Turning off kazaa (used to be: file sharing for linux)

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Jan 3 02:03:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Alex Olivas wrote:

> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> > gm wrote:
> >
> > The authors of kazaa should be taken out and beaten senseless.

Agreed!!

> i was told you can turn off the port that kazaa uses.  i share internet
> access with roommates.  i use linux

Kazza uses whatever port it can get access through.

> and never bothered with any file sharing.  my other roommates use
> windows and one just introduced
> the other to kazaa.  after a night of sucking all our bandwidth i
> considered trying to turn off kazaa (i'm
> kind of the house sys-admin).  i use my computer for work, so in
> addition to all of the other normal
> reasons, i really don't want my system to get hacked.  so i have two
> questions...
> 1) is my system at risk as well if they use kazaa? and...
> 2) can anyone tell me how to block access to kazaa?

I do not have specifics but I can tell you it is very hard to block.
There have been numerous threads on the netfilter list discussing
this. I would suggest you look at the netfilter list archives and
then maybe ask questions there. I think you are more likely to get
better answers to your question there.

HTH,