Proper ettiquette for posting messages

Steven Stern sds-email-list at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 3 04:35:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:42:15 -0500, "David Hunt" <david.hunt.linux at comcast.net>
wrote:

>My first attempt at posting messages
>(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-January/msg00008.html) gave
>me what I wanted - a solution. But I do not appear to have the reply part of
>this figured out, as the responses are not placed where I want them to go.
>Is there an ettiquette document? How should replies be formatted? I have
>tried clicking on the Reply-To link in the email, but it doesn't copy any of
>the original text. Do I have something setup wrong? Does my using XP to
>reply have anything to do with it? Thanks for any help.

It looks like you're using Outlook Express. Unfortunately, OE doesn't show
mailing lists like this as it would a newsgroup. That is, it does turn the
message traffic into the sorts of threads you'd get on from a USENET server.

Let me recommend this:

1.  On comcast, you can set up 4 more email addresses. Create  a special
address you use just for mailing lists.

2. Get a copy of a newgroup reader that also supports email (like Mozilla or
Agent) to handle the traffic on this mailing list.

I use Agent to read this list and it acts just like any real newsgroup that I
process through Agent.