procmail

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Jan 4 01:29:14 UTC 2004

Am So, den 04.01.2004 schrieb Scott Gose um 01:59:
> I don't know what "cyrus" is.  My 'yum search cyrus' didn't return
> anything mail related.

He certainly means the cyrus-imapd which is not part of Fedora Core 1,
but is available through RHEL 3 and the development tree.

There is cyrus-sasl too, but these are only general libraries used for
auth issues with mail.

> If you want to do simple procmail filtering using postfix, from a stock
> Fedora install, you need to first install postfix and disable sendmail:
>
>     # yum install postfix
>     # yum install procmail
>     # checkconfig sendmail off
>     # checkconfig postfix on
>     # service sendmail stop
>     # service postfix start

No need to install postfix and disable sendmail to work with procmail!
procmail is already active as the default LDA when installed sendmail.

> Make sure the following line is uncommented in /etc/postfix/main.cf:
>
>     mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail
>
> Reload Postfix's configuration:
>
>     # service postfix reload
>
> Create a file in your home directory called ~/.procmailrc
> Here's the start of mine:

[ snipped procmail instructions ]

So works procmail as LDA (local delivery agent) in conjunction with
sendmail too. A global /etc/procmailrc is possible and user defined
~/.procmailrc.

> Now, for example, mail with *****SPAM***** in the subject will go in
> ~/mail/junk.  Good luck.

Alexander