[Fwd: Re: DNS configuration Tool]

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Jan 4 05:02:15 UTC 2004

At 04:26 1/2/2004, you wrote:

>>Huh? Clients are configured to use one or more DNS servers. They will ask
>>any of those servers for an answer, in any order. So what you ask for
>>cannot be done. What you probably want is for 2.5 to resolve all queries
>>for 0.0 as well, and use the "forward first;" and "forwarders {
>>ip.of.isp.dns; };" directives in BIND to take advantage of the ISP's DNS cache.
>>
>In any order - is this true?  Wont it try primary first and then if no
>response, try secondary etc ??

Ade,

If you feel like reading through DocBook XML, take a look at this:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/howto/xml/DNS-First-Steps.xml

This is still a DRAFT, so I suggest you do not bookmark it yet. I'm having
some trouble with my formatting tools which is why I don't have it in HTML
yet; that will probably take another day or two, and then I'll get it
properly moved into the http://www.simpaticus.com/linux section of my
website. I'll also keep making some improvements to it.

But at least it's there now if that helps you. It's very much a beginner
document (no clue required), and does nothing but describe some of the
concepts, terms, and basics such that a conversation about DNS, and the
documentation for BIND or any other DNS server software, will make more sense.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com