Bind v. TinyDNS

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Jan 4 21:52:03 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 21:35, Ron Bickers wrote:
> On 01/04/2004 8:42 AM, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
>
> > Every time there an update on one patch, those admins suffer real pains
> > that could have been avoided if but Dan's arrogance allowed it.
>
> Arrogance?  DJB has written a lot of great software and has allowed us to
> use it and the source code free of charge.  That's hardly arrogance.  You
> can disagree with the license he has chosen for the software that he wrote,
> but to shun him for not doing it your way is unfair.

You've never seen him write, right? :)
Besides, I believe that placing artificial restrictions upon others is
of an enormous arrogance.

> I also wish the FUD would stop about his distribution limitations (not from
> you, Rui, just in general).

Only if you mean Fact, Undeniable, Demonstrable.

>   His Web site is clear about what is allowed and what isn't.

Of course. You can't publish an improved qmail, even to your friends who
don't know how to patch.

> There is no reason FC could not include DJB software but for
> FC's own policy limitations.  I'm not suggesting FC change its limitations
> and include any DJB software; frankly, I don't care either way.  It's not
> hard to maintain a single RPM with whatever patches I want and install it on
> many servers.

Fortunately, Fedora Core's goals do not allow for unfair conditions
placed upon it's users.

By my own self imposed limitation, I will not support or use software
which carries a bad social effect to those who are near me.

> PS.  Someday, perhaps, the FC list admins will answer my e-mails and I can
> actually post to the list.  Arg...

Have you tried mailing fedora-list-request at redhat.com with help on the
body?

Good luck,